"A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings but a cat does not." -Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What Do You Imagine?

With only two days left in two thousand and ten I thought it appropriate to talk about winding down the year, mentally that is.  If you are like me then you can relate to that statement.  I always find during this time of year my mind tempts me to shut things off and it also does a pretty good job of coaxing me into just riding the ticking clock down towards midnight of December 31; every writer’s dream, for this will be the year.
As I pondered the reasoning behind this strange phenomenon for someone who constantly drives themselves to consistently write on a daily basis I realized I never really stop writing, only my fingers do.  You see I believe this is the time of year my imagination kicks into overdrive and my conscious mind takes a much needed rest.  As writers, what better time to take a little escape from the everyday pressures we put upon ourselves to go above and beyond our goals and just let our imagination take over.  Think of all the possibilities the New Year will bring!  What about you, do you seem to always find yourself at this time of year taking a mental vacation?  If so, what do you imagine?
I find it very important during this time of year to take advantage of my imagination and scribble down every detail it has bestowed upon me.  Each year I have a new journal full of fresh ideas, characters, plots or even dialogue on a work in progress to begin the New Year with, I call it my imagination journal.  How about you do you keep a journal close by?  It’s important to have one all the time but it is especially important to have one when your mind is on vacation but your imagination is in full swing.  Never rely on Mr. Memory because he has a tendency to let you down.  (I think that’s his main purpose in life!)
The time it has taken me to write this post the clock has ticked closer to every writer’s dream and my imagination journal is filled with sparks and twinkling lights waiting to explode into magical words, delightful characters and mystical worlds all wanting to come to life!
Happy New Year and until next time,
Keep on thriving, keep on striving and keep on writing!
T.K. Millin
The Unknown Author       


No comments:

Post a Comment