"A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings but a cat does not." -Ernest Hemingway

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Countdown to NaNoWrimo!

It’s finally here, my first NaNoWrimo challenge.  Now in case you have never heard of NaNoWrimo it stands for, National Novel Writing Month.  It is hosted by The Office of Letters and Light, a non-profit organization out of California.  Learn more here. 
NaNoWrimo challenges writers from all over the world to come together for one month and write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days.  Wow!  50,000 words in 30 days!  That’s an average of 1,667 words a day.   
You may be asking yourself, how does The Unknown Author write over 1,667 words a day?  My answer being, I have no idea, but I’m about to find out!  Now just because the challenge doesn’t start until midnight tonight, doesn’t mean you couldn’t beforehand set out the structure, just like I’ve recently been talking about. 
My goal is to write the second book of my middle grade series, The Clara Jeane Mysteries, titled Falltime Frights.  The ideas of course have been floating around in my writer’s filing cabinet (my head) for some time now.  So this past month once I made the decision to take part in the challenge, I drew out the road map for Falltime Frights.  In other words, I know what the checkpoints of the hook, the backstory, the trigger, the crisis, the struggle, the epiphany, the plan, the climax, and finally, the end are going to be about. (All to be discussed in future blogs) Now all I have to do is sit down and for the next thirty days fill in all the gaps with scenery, dialogue and hopefully some killer writing!
So for the next thirty days, The Unknown Author, is going to take a break from their regular blogging subjects and instead give little updates as to their progress as a NaNoWrimo.  Then find out if on November 30 The Unknown Author becomes a proud NaNoWrimo winner! 
Only the ticking clock will tell…
Until next time,
Keep on thriving, keep on striving and keep on writing!
T.K. Millin
The Unknown Author

No comments:

Post a Comment