"A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings but a cat does not." -Ernest Hemingway

Monday, November 1, 2010

Wow, What a Day!

Have you ever set out to do something extraordinary but were afraid of the outcome?  Well that’s a little how I felt about my first day in NaNoLand. (That’s lingo for us NaNoWrimos)  Anyhow, I had grand illusions of sitting at my writing desk at 12:01 a.m. on November 1, 2010 and stroking the first letter of Falltime Frights. 

Instead, I rolled over at around 8:30 a.m., still feeling tired from the Halloween festivities a few hours earlier, wondering how in the world I was ever going to write today.  But then I remembered I was The Unknown Author and I leaped out of bed, threw on my trusted writing clothes, fixed my favorite morning drink (water for those of you who don’t know me) and fired up my trusty old friend, my laptop.

I opened up my Falltime Frights folder and reviewed all the structure notes I had made the prior month and before I knew it 500 words had suddenly appeared upon the page and then 1,200.  Now since I set my goal at 1,667 words a day and it was only 10 a.m., I figured why not go for 2,000.  At 3 in the afternoon after taking a long deserved break, and 4,000 words later, I decided I’m going all the way today and earn my first NaNoWrimo RALLY PIN and type 5,000 words.  When I added the period to my last sentence of the day my word count said, 5,010!

So the first thing NaNoWrimo taught me is preparations do make a difference!  Think, scheme a little and then plan, plan, plan.  Like I said before; once you find your passion, (click here) and discover your direction, (click here) it's easy to start writing and never look back.

Are you a NaNoWrimo?  Please share your experience here and share with us what you’ve learned so far.

Until next time,

Keep on thriving, keep on striving and keep on writing!

T.K. Millin
The Unknown Author 

No comments:

Post a Comment