"A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings but a cat does not." -Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Visions of a Writer and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter


Photo property of T.K. Millin



This past week-end I finally took the time to go to Universal’s Islands of Adventure just to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. 
I have to say as a visiting “tourist” I was amazed at the similarity of the park to the actual sets used in the movie; but, as a visiting “writer” I have to say I was awestruck!

Why? Because I understand when a writer sits down to write a story it’s something that comes from deep down inside their writer soul, it’s something the writer has to tell. I don’t know of too many writers who set out to write a story just because they think it’s going to become an international sensation, a blockbuster at the movies and end up with its own theme park attraction. Now I’m not saying what writer wouldn’t be in “writer heaven” if it were to happen, but I feel it’s safe to say most writers would be harmoniously happy simply to just have their story published, read and enjoyed.

Photo property of T.K. Millin

As I stood silently among the crowd gazing around at not only the glittering eyes of fascinated children, but the amazed look on adult faces, young and old, I took a minute to put myself in J.K. Rowling’s shoes, and cried. Not tears of sadness, but ones of shear and utter exhilaration! For being a writer, it was an overwhelming feeling to imagine what it would be like to stand in the middle of a world you created from a vision and be able to see, touch and feel how it makes people believe they are living inside your dreams. Even though I do not know J.K. Rowling personally, I feel I do share the same passion for writing as she does which allowed me at that moment in time to truly feel a sense of happiness for her, just as I would if she were a fellow writer I knew personally.

Reflecting back on my experience, I wonder if when J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (which was re-titled, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, for the United States’ edition) she ever once in her wildest dreams envisioned lines two hours long just to take a peek inside the magic shop she created from her imagination or that children would one day also have their very own magic wand, just like Harry Potter?
Perhaps the next time I sit down to write my visions of mysterious world’s and strange far and away places I just might take a moment to wonder; what if? How about you do you ever wonder?

Happy vision’s my fellow authors! 

Until next time,

Keep on thriving, keep on striving and keep on writing!

T.K. Millin
The Unknown Author

2 comments:

  1. I don't even want to think of poor people subjected to the Blaze McRob's Tales Of Horror Funhouse, complete with ghouls, grim reapers, time traveling Nazis, dragons, witches, zombies, Voodoo Queens, and a cast of thousands. The world is not ready!

    Haha!

    Blaze

    P.S. The House Of Mirrors holds wonderful surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait! Hopefully, I'll get exclusive passes so I don't have to wait in line two hours to see the grim reaper!!
    Funny, my husband said that someone should come up with a zombie theme park (he's a huge zombie fan!)
    Thanks for taking time to stop by Blaze.

    ReplyDelete